I have a Nokia E60 phone, which has the Australian product code 0533745 (displayed on a sticker underneath the battery).
It is currently running firmware version 2.0618.06.05.
Nokia Software Updater says this is the latest version available for my phone (entering product code 0533745 on nokia’s “check your software” page: http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4777089).
A newer firmware version 3.0633.09.04 has been released for the E60, but only made available to some product codes (US and UK to name a few). This version supposedly fixes some memory usage issues, and provides NAT traversal support, so SIP VOIP will (should? haha) work through an external network.
After lots of google research, I see that the best solution to this is to modify my product code to the UK code (0538173), thus tricking Nokia Software Updater into thinking my phone is a UK variant, and giving me access to the new firmware. If you’re reading this page, I’m sure you’ve been doing research of your own, so I wont bother spamming this post with links to useful pages I found.
Although this blogger has posted the exact same situation, so they deserve a link: http://nsmail.org/blog/?p=14.
To modify the Product Code I used a tool called “NSS”, available here: http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/software.htm. I wont give step-by-step instructions on how to use this tool, because it could be potential quite dangerous, if you’re not confident to work through it yourself, maybe give it a miss or really take your time.
Woohoo! After changing my product code to the UK 0538173, Nokia Software Updater showed new firmware version 3.0633.09.04 is available, downloaded it, and updated my phone successfully.
This wipes everything from your phone, riight back to ‘sqaure one’, so make sure you back up everything beforehand… I didn’t bother with a warning at the start of this post, because I know my readers aren’t stupid ay ;-)
So now my E60 is running version 3.0633.09.04, and it still “works” (can send and receive calls and messages).
Next I will restore contacts, then see if VOIP support has been improved and post about that later :-)