Due to my sudden wifi problem, I am upgrading my iPhone to the latest firmware (2.2.1).
I want to do a full restore of the new firmware; to "clean" up the phone and hopefully solve fix the wifi.
But, my phone is jailbroken and I have a lot of really useful apps installed from Cydia, with lots of useful data saved within them. So I need to do a full restore, without loosing my Cydia apps.
Obviously, the brilliant iPhone Dev Team have the solution(s) :-D
I can download the latest QuickPWN and Firmware from http://www.quickpwn.com/downloads.
Then I can follow these steps to upgrade a jailbrokwn iphone from iPhone Download Blog.
... and then I should be sweet :-)
Success/Failure update coming soon.
Just a reminder to myself when I forget again the future, the downloaded .ipsw iPhone firmware file (aka .zip file? haha) needs to be placed in:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
Everything went smoothly;
- Backup using AptBackup.
- Backup using iTunes.
- Restore firmware 2.2.1 using iTunes.
- Install OpenSSH, BossPrefs and AptBackup using Cydia.
- Restore backup using iTunes.
- Restore backup using AptBackup.
- Sync using iTunes.
Then everything is generally how I left it, asside from;
- Icon positions lost.
- Custom ringtones lost (including those assigned to Contacts).
- Hacked SMS tone lost.
- Settings & data of apps from Cydia lost.
- Cycorder videos lost - which I didn't back up, and am annoyed about.